Saturday, February 14, 2009

Lost puppy!

We had a big scare this past week...we lost our puppy! I always take our puppy, Belle, outside to go potty but every once in a while I'll let her out by herself and when I call her ten minutes later, she comes running. This is probably not the smartest thing to do because our yard is not enclosed yet but sometimes she takes for-ev-er to go potty and I don't have time to wait. Well, I learned my lesson the hard way! I let her outside and after ten minutes I called for her and she didn't come so I began walking around the house calling her name. She didn't come! I ran to the front of the house and the construction workers across the street said they saw her chasing a car down the street! I immediately began to panic thinking she had chased a car to the main road and had wandered away. I began running down the street screaming her name but there was no sign of her. I was trying really hard to hold back the tears as I ran back to the house to get in the car to look for her. Brandon began looking in all the neighbors' backyards while I went out in the car (with the kids) to look for her. At this point I am sobbing hysterically, wondering how I'm going to explain to Brenna that we've lost her dog. I cried harder and harder as I thought about our teeny (5 pound) puppy lost on the streets freezing and scared. I can't remember the last time I cried that hard. After looking for a while I decided to stop the car to say a prayer for help to find her. We kept looking for over an hour and still no luck. I even called Animal Control to see if anyone had reported a missing puppy but there hadn't been any calls. It was dark and late and we started heading home--unable to believe that our puppy was gone. I knew I wouldn't sleep that night. As we were pulling into the driveway, a friend of ours (who was helping us look for Belle) drove past the neighbor's house and.....there she was! She had been in their backyard! I don't know if she didn't hear us when we called or if she had been in their yard the entire time--we were just glad to see her! I was beyond relieved! We were so exhausted after that we all went home, said a prayer of thanks, and went to bed. And, as a result, we are building our block walls this weekend to enclose our backyard (it's about time)!

5 comments:

Greg and Torrey said...

i'm glad belle is at home safe and sound. i wish you would have called me so i could have helped you search for her! who's yard was she in? ours? well, i guess my phone is broken... mabye you did try to call me. i should have my new one today. i'm so glad all is well at the bluhm household. yay for the enclosed wall!

Rhonda S. said...

Oh gosh, I think I was almost in tears reading this! I completely understand about the fear of having to tell your little ones that their little puppy is gone. I'm glad it all worked out for you guys:)

Miranda said...

Everything happens for a reason... right ?!!! I am glad that you guys were able to find her!

Spencer and Emily Nelson family said...

First of all, of course the construction workers just let her run away... dummies. Second, geez, I barely get that hysterical when my kids get lost. :) JK! I'm glad you found her. But maybe she wasn't answering you for a reason??? Hmmm. :)

Anne Marie said...

I hate that feeling. I had almost the same feeling when Champ jumped the wall. My feeling was more anger and wanted to beat the living daylights out of him. I know this doesn't sound very good, but he was a disaster of a dog. So glad that Bella wasn't hurt and she's home safe.