Monday, February 9, 2009

A Walk Down Memory Lane....

It's hard to believe that my baby girl is three years old! It seems like just yesterday we were bringing her home from the hospital. What an amazing three years it has been! We just love our little Brenna! She has so much spunk and personality and she brings us so much joy. We still laugh when we remember the story of her birth. She took us by surprise and arrived exactly a month early! Being a planner and preparer, I wanted to spend the upcoming weekend shopping for the last items on our baby list--mainly a mattress for the crib. Brandon, on the other hand, wanted to go play roller hockey. I don't have to tell you who won but, needless to say, we spent the night before Brenna's birth playing roller hockey and Brandon will never live it down. :-) Well, I just watched (can you imagine a big pregnant woman playing roller hockey? The last time I played before I was pregnant I about broke my nose crashing into Brandon!) Anyways, we got home at about midnight and we were exhausted! At about 3:00a.m. I jumped out of bed because I thought I was wetting the bed. I ran to the bathroom but I wasn't peeing--my water had broke! I was so tired that I went back to bed mostly in disbelief that my water had broken--my due date was still a month away! The next morning I told Brandon what had happened but I was still in disbelief. We called the hospital and the nurse barked, "Get here now!" I wasn't having contractions yet but we began frantically packing our bags for the hospital. Note to self: pack hospital bags earlier next time. We were pretty giddy and excited about the possibility that our baby could be born that day. We got to the hospital and, sure enough, my water HAD broke! It seemed unreal and yet a little scary because she was so early. I began to panic that her lungs wouldn't be developed enough and that she'd have complications. I said many tiny prayers that day (in Brenna's behalf and for my own survival through the labor). The nurses immediately started my labor with pitocin because there is a window of 24 hours that a baby should be born after the woman's water breaks. We called our parents (who were at church) and told them we were at the hospital, to which they laughed in disbelief. When they realized we weren't joking, they quickly made arrangements to drive to L.A. for the birth. I called my sister, Emily, to tell her what had happened and ask her if she would be in the delivery room with me. We both cried and, bless her heart, she left her 2 little boys with her husband so she could be with me during my labor. It was so great to have our families there for the birth. Brandon was my #1 coach, with my mom, Brandon's mom, and my sister, Emily, as assistant coaches. I couldn't have done it without all of them. Each one would take a body part (legs, lower back, and cold compress on the head) and just start massaging away. Brandon, my dad, and my father-in-law gave me a priesthood blessing which helped me so much. Brandon never left my side and talked me through the entire labor. Poor guy--he worked just as hard as I did (well, almost)! After 12 hours of intense labor on pitocin (with no epidural), Brenna finally arrived! She was beautiful! I couldn't contain my emotions as they laid her on my chest and I saw my daughter for the first time. What a miracle! I hope I never, ever forget that feeling for the rest of my life. Our prayers had been answered....she weighed 6 lbs. 6 oz. and was perfectly healthy! A neo-natal team was on hand in case there were complications but she was perfect! We were beyond elated and it all seemed like a dream as we brought our first-born home from the hospital. We were floating on clouds as we held Brenna and realized that we were really parents. And then panic set in and we began taking her temperature every hour to make sure she wasn't too cold or too hot. Oh the joys of first-time parenting--we were pretty hilarious! I don't think I slept a wink for the first week of her life because I would watch her constantly to make sure she was breathing. She has kept us on our toes ever since-with her strong and independent nature. The very first time we tried to feed her baby cereal (mind you, she was only 5 months-old) she screamed at the top of her lungs because she wanted to hold the spoon and do it herself! She has always wanted to "do it herself". She is very strong-willed (I wonder where she gets it from)! ;-) We love our little princess and we are so anxious to see what great things she will do in the future. She will be a great leader and have many talents that she will use for good. We love you, Brenna! You make life worth living!

4 comments:

Spencer and Emily Nelson family said...

That was definitely one experience in my life that I will NEVER forget. I was crying right along with you guys. I couldn't believe what an amazing experience that was. A million thanks for letting me be a part of such a special moment. I may not ever experience that again, so I appreciate the opportunity to witness the miracle of birth. Brenna reminds me a lot of Chase... they are definitely a little difficult to raise, but it's probably because they have big things in their future.

Anne Marie said...

That's so cool! Thanks for sharing!

Michelle said...

I love the pictures. I also love hearing birth stories. It's such a life-changing event!

Kelly said...

Happy Birthday Brenna! What a wonderful moment for your mom and dad!! We know that we have sure been blessed by knowing your family! Such a sweet story, there is nothing like bringing a baby into the world, especially your first! We sure love you guys!
Love,
Kelly